It's time for Andy to get "MacPhailed"

JTrea81

4 years ago the Orioles were floundering, and rumors were spreading about Sam Perlozzo's status as manager.

Out of the blue though, Peter Angelos hired Andy MacPhail to be the President of Baseball Operations and made Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette glorified coffee runners.

Perlozzo was fired, but it was the hiring of MacPhail that was to signify the "shakeup" of the front office. Flanagan remained employed by the Orioles for the duration of his contract in some unknown capacity while Jim Duquette quit at the end of the year.

Here we are now 4 years later under the magnificent plan to "grow the arms and buy the bats." and we are just about in the same place. Our farm system is just about the same and the bats have been bargain bin specials. There is no vision right now and the club just seems content to just continue to plug holes and hope for the best on a year-to-year basis.

It's time for PGA to once again dethrone our GM and relegate him to the background. Maybe he can sell sweater vests in the Orioles team store. John Hart could be a possiblity IMO as his contract was made with the previous ownership group and not this one, so they might be willing to let him out of it. In any case, it's time for a change at the top so that we have some coherent vision heading into this offseason instead of scrambling for a GM and then trying to implement their plan.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not saying MacPhail does not deserve blame, but how does the GM really matter when the owner is not interested in winning? Now, I do not know for sure that PA does not care but they are over payroll this year, and still light years away from contention.

I guess what I am saying is; at some point we are going to have to accept that this is our team, and you either really like the Orioles or not. They are not going to just wake up one day and start spending money on FA.

You could set fire to yourself at the gate in protest, and they would simply look at the cost of putting the fire out, before they cared what you or any other fans think.

4 years ago the Orioles were floundering, and rumors were spreading about Sam Perlozzo's status as manager.

Out of the blue though, Peter Angelos hired Andy MacPhail to be the President of Baseball Operations and made Mike Flanagan and Jim Duquette glorified coffee runners.

Perlozzo was fired, but it was the hiring of MacPhail that was to signify the "shakeup" of the front office. Flanagan remained employed by the Orioles for the duration of his contract in some unknown capacity while Jim Duquette quit at the end of the year.

Here we are now 4 years later under the magnificent plan to "grow the arms and buy the bats." and we are just about in the same place. Our farm system is just about the same and the bats have been bargain bin specials. There is no vision right now and the club just seems content to just continue to plug holes and hope for the best on a year-to-year basis.

It's time for PGA to once again dethrone our GM and relegate him to the background. Maybe he can sell sweater vests in the Orioles team store. John Hart could be a possiblity IMO as his contract was made with the previous ownership group and not this one, so they might be willing to let him out of it. In any case, it's time for a change at the top so that we have some coherent vision heading into this offseason instead of scrambling for a GM and then trying to implement their plan.

Who was the Manny Machado in our farm system 4 years ago? Not that it matters since Jordan makes the picks...

Your opinion is clearly twisted. We are a better team and we are progressing... And the W/L column shows that.

With that said, MacPhail sure appears to have made mistakes. Maybe another GM could be better, but the MacPhail Witch Hunt is irrational.

The point that several have missed is that by removing MacPhail now, the new GM can look at the system and evaluate it before he takes full control in the offseason.

If MacPhail leaves at the end of September, that leaves the new GM only a month and a half before the offseason really starts with the GM meetings, assuming they find his replacement that quickly.

Yeah he threw a lot of stones early. Yeah he shot way too many bullets. Now I am just tired of saying he is crazy. I dont care anymore. MacPhail can go hang for all I care now. At some point you have to say this IS the team he put together. We still are losers, our minor leagues still suck. Who can we blame now?

If Angelos cant win then he should sell. But he wont. It is sticking in his craw. He desperately doesnt want the first thing in his Obit or his Wiki page to say. Long time Owner of the Orioles. Ruined a model franchise.

The point that several have missed is that by removing MacPhail now, the new GM can look at the system and evaluate it before he takes control in the offseason.

If MacPhail leaves at the end of September, that leaves the new GM only a month and a half before the offseason really starts with the GM meetings, assuming they find his replacement that quickly.

Name a better GM than MacPhail that Angelos would actually hire, and maybe I'll be with you.

I certainly don't think MacPhail is the guy to get the team where it needs to go, but I'd just as soon have him stay in 'til PA is gone than watch some other Angelos hire undo what progress has been done. It's not that the Orioles haven't improves under AM, because they have. However, our rate or progression is much slower than the other teams in our division, and since they're already ahead of us, we're still losing ground.

Name a better GM than MacPhail that Angelos would actually hire, and maybe I'll be with you.

I certainly don't think MacPhail is the guy to get the team where it needs to go, but I'd just as soon have him stay in 'til PA is gone than watch some other Angelos hire undo what progress has been done. It's not that the Orioles haven't improves under AM, because they have. However, our rate or progression is much slower than the other teams in our division, and since they're already ahead of us, we're still losing ground.

Yeah I forget that part. Angelos would probably hire someone actually worse.

You're a glutten for punishment Trea! LOL

Archived